Is this chess or Tetris?
I don’t know how many people are reading this now and how many might start following it later, but I find writing for other people helps me get my own thoughts in order. So, thanks for being my rubber duck.
I started writing out a much longer and more boring post but then killed it off as things congealed. In a condensed form, here are my hopes for “version 1.5” of my setup in the next few months:
- A Sound Of Thunder goes. The space is reserved against other uses.
- Field Kit FX and its reverb tanks go — replaced functionally by Chase Bliss Dark World (shipping at the new year) and u‑he Twangström (currently in beta and f**king brilliant).
- The fate of EarthQuaker Afterneath depends on how I feel with Dark World on the board and if I think something else would be more useful/fun.
- Reclaimed pedalboard space goes partly to a 16n Fader Bank, which is an open-source controller that works with MIDI, CV and i2c (used by Teletype). This should be amazing for sequencing in Teletype and controlling everything else. There’s no current ETA on a production run for it.
- The rest of the space could go to a 4ms Pod or lunchbox case, giving me 32-60 more HP for Eurorack modules. This is contigent on other module vacancies/replacements — if I don’t do it I’m likely approximately cost-neutral with all these changes. Strong contenders for space include the successor to Mutable Instruments Clouds or a Qu-Bit Nebulae V2.
- Of course another pedal or two could make it to the pedalboard, depending on space. But there are no really strong candidates at the moment given what Dark World is likely to do for me.
- Mimetic Digitalis and/or Maze get replaced. (Maze is about to receive an update adding a feature I asked for which may be a game changer.) But I’m expecting great things out of u-he CVilization, which is the size of MD and is a 4×4 matrix mixer with several sequencer-friendly features, plus three other modes that may make it indispensible. It’s possible I’ll replace my A-138m with one also.
- If CVilization or the 16n don’t come to fruition or I find them lacking, there are several other options. For sequencing: Befaco Muxlicer or Pittsburgh Micro Sequence. For control, Noise Engineering Lapsus Os or Michigan Synth Works Plancks II. For matrix mixing, the 4ms VCA Matrix or Rebel Tech Mix 04.
- If Cvil and 16n and “Clouds 2” are all utterly brilliant, I see myself with about 19HP of free space with no claim on it, without adding a small case. That’s my hope.
- Since I don’t love the 2hp Trim for pedal conversion, it’d be nice to put in something better suited; it wouldn’t take much more space anyhow.
- I have no plans to add more VCOs even if space becomes available. If I want to change anything there, something’s got to go. Double Helix or Hertz Donut perhaps, but I like both of those so it’s not highly likely.